Forum

Forum about the animation software Pencil

You are not logged in.

#51 2010-03-15 06:22:45

ZZDas

Re: Welcome, Pencil users!

@Oluseyi-
yeah i do know that onion skin is a kind of animation paper but when we are talking about softwares, and this specific case the vectorials one, onion skin cames as replacement of light tables, and don't think there is a "recent emphasis on the light table" if you dig a bit you will find out that they've been here, not from the day one of animation but, probably on the "second day"(of course onion skin paper came first).Back to the softwares, all this talking about onion skin and light table was because i think Pencil should have a LT instead of OS for all the reason i said above, but now that you said about having both(on the real life), that can be cool for Pencil to have a light table on the time line(with all the features only a light table can have) and onion skin on, let's say,paper preference, so user could choose how translucent the paper they drawing on could be(and for the future what kind of paper, something like Artrage paper selection).
Sometimes i write down just like the way i would say in Portuguese (my native language) and that's when strange things happens(like knowing the taste of words).
I'm running Windows (sadly with only one monitor)and never had problems with Skecthbook or Artrage( ASpro 2010 and AR 2.5) they just work like a regular window and i set my toolbar to auto-hide so switching thru application means no problem, but once again i'm on Windows and never played around with Mac so my opinion is completly parcial...
By the way, I'm offering my help to translate from English to Portuguese in case you guys find it usefull...

Last edited by ZZDas (2010-03-15 06:23:05)

#52 2010-03-15 06:24:35

ZZDas

@Lusa5-
You're welcome...

#53 2010-03-15 16:45:16

Oluseyi

ZZDas wrote:

@Oluseyi-
yeah i do know that onion skin is a kind of animation paper but when we are talking about softwares, and this specific case the vectorials one, onion skin cames as replacement of light tables, and don't think there is a "recent emphasis on the light table" if you dig a bit you will find out that they've been here, not from the day one of animation but, probably on the "second day"(of course onion skin paper came first).

*shrug* I still really don't care.

ZZDas wrote:

Back to the softwares, all this talking about onion skin and light table was because i think Pencil should have a LT instead of OS for all the reason i said above, but now that you said about having both(on the real life), that can be cool for Pencil to have a light table on the time line(with all the features only a light table can have) and onion skin on, let's say,paper preference, so user could choose how translucent the paper they drawing on could be(and for the future what kind of paper, something like Artrage paper selection).

Let me ask you a question: how does a light table differ from onion skinning in software, since there's no physical paper or light source? In the real world, a light table is an emissive source that makes multiple sheets partially translucent by illuminating the contrasting (dark) lines against blank white paper while onion skin is a lightweight but strong and intrinsically translucent paper that allows sufficient light through in both directions to make contrasting (dark) marks on lower sheets visible. In software, it's all just a question of which pixels you draw and how much alpha you draw them with, so... what's the difference supposed to be? The number of sheets (keys/frames) you can see?

You keep emphasizing the distinction like it matters, and I still can't see that it does.

ZZDas wrote:

By the way, I'm offering my help to translate from English to Portuguese in case you guys find it usefull...

That would be awesome. I'm going to get my mother to do French and maybe German translations as starters. Internationalizing Pencil is a major goal for 0.5.5. smile

#54 2010-03-17 07:29:06

ZZDas

Pencil should have a Light table because:
the name:
-As a traditional animation software, Pencil should do like the other self-called traditional softwares do (light table and not onion skin), and one of the many reason they do that must be because their target public are animators who came from real hand-draw method.

functions conflict(this is where i explain what's the different between the codes)
-there are different values when you put them both together: Ok, you can make onion skin showing a whatever number of frames you like(like what you would do with a light table and the code would be the same), but when you add more features to it, like showing the "x" but not  the "y" layer, the 5 but not the 7 frame...you can still call it onion skin but it will sound weird (at least for me), see, onion skin can do alot of things, but had ever done a real life animation, pencil and paper(and i don't mean you didn't, i just don't know...)you would "feel" the difference.
Analogy: you can get into a house thru the window but still can not call it a door.

#55 2010-03-17 09:04:21

muhkayoh
Website

Hmmmm...

Looking at some of the posts in this thread, I think I can just make out the badly decomposed remains of a severely beaten - and thoroughly dead - horse.

Neigh!

Matt

#56 2010-03-17 09:51:06

Ian

ZZDas what I think everyone is trying to say to you is that there isn't a need for one or the other.  In fact, Pencil has both.  For the layers, it has a kind of 'light table' so that you can identify different elements of your image (inking,painting,shading...).  The onion skin effect helps you see the movement of your drawings, frame by frame.  Without both, digital animation would be very difficult. It doesn't matter what you call them, both are important.

Last edited by Ian (2010-03-17 09:59:52)

#57 2010-03-18 05:37:38

ZZDas

@Ian
As i said, at the moment both means the same but looking forward( in versions to come)it would be good to have the distinction between them, on the layers there are a fixed transparency value that although it works for now i'm suggesting improvements for the future, that's all...
So, whatever...i'm getting exhausted...

#58 2010-03-29 17:18:15

Lusa5

Argh DX when is the new one xoming out?? its the end of march and its still not uploaded yet...I'm kinda dissapointed (shrugs)

#59 2010-03-30 10:32:08

Oluseyi

Hey Lusa5,

Ian has a 0.5 beta that's ready; it's just a matter of getting it uploaded. As for the work I've been doing, which overlaps his but approaches from a more clean-up-the-guts angle, I already said it'd be delayed in my updated thread in the Compiling and Development board (which you should check from time to time; there's good info in there). Between really bad infrastructure where I am now (I'll be here until May), real-life responsibilities and some development glitches (problems getting pixel data into the video export plugin forced me to rewrite Layer, LayerImage, LayerBitmap, LayerVector, LayerCamera and LayerSound, while excessive coupling has had me touch BitmapImage, VectorImage and BezierCurve), it's a good 2 weeks behind schedule. That's life in open source.

I'm trying to minimize the changes, since there's a lot of old/dead code in Pencil already, as well as a lot design that indicates its origins as a hobbyist/tinkerer project smile Let's just say having several classes touch each other's privates is not a good thing, design wise! It's getting there, but a consequence of that poor design is that the code is hard to change, because something somewhere unrelated relied on having direct access when it shouldn't, so then you have to change that...

In short: patience, sahib. smile

#60 2010-03-30 17:49:35

pollywoggles

Lusa5 wrote:

Argh DX when is the new one xoming out?? its the end of march and its still not uploaded yet...I'm kinda dissapointed (shrugs)

check here:  http://lesstooges.free.fr/pencil/forum/ … php?id=884

#61 2010-04-03 21:42:49

Lusa5

pollywoggles wrote:

Lusa5 wrote:

check here:  http://lesstooges.free.fr/pencil/forum/ … php?id=884

THANK YOU so much Polly smile

#62 2010-10-19 12:37:48

Zeteein

Hi! I was wondering if there is any way to program short cut/key assignments for the toolbar. One thing I'd love, is if I could switch to the hand tool by pressing h, the pencil tool with p or b, etc. Will that be in the new version?

Thanks!

#63 2011-06-18 00:27:50

Ian

Customizable shortcuts will be a great idea in the future.  At the moment, there is no way of doing this without re-programming the software.

#64 2011-09-08 10:56:23

rmdr

Lucilleoster wrote:

I am new to pencil 4.4 and want to know how I can export and upload my finished animations to You Tube.

In the file Menu, there's the Export option, just export to a .mov or a .swf and upload normally on youtube.

#65 2012-04-20 03:00:33

Darkhog

Is Pascal alive? Because he hasn't visited for long time...

#66 2012-04-24 03:48:33

carlosgf
Administrator

Hi.

My presentation to this forum. My name is carlos, and I am interested in doing some kind of animation as a hobby.
I would love to know some coding to help you out with this marvellous software pencil...

Smile... and animate wink

Instead of God, Love, Happiness, Comfort, Passion...(you name it) give me only The Truth, The Truth and I will become enlightened.

#67 2012-09-04 08:09:09

EqualToAwesome

hey! i use pencil for a long time... i make little animation's and post them op youtube. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/EqualToAwesome?feature=mhee ) but i'm not here to promote my video's... i've got a problem with exporting an animation.
everytime i made an animation (last one the length of 570 frames) and i want to export it... it doesnt save.
see i get to see the loading screen and it says it is exporting the file.. but it never saves the file on the location where it is suppose to save.
please help me! pencil is awesome and you would help me out a lot if you told me what to do right now! smile
thanks in advance!

#68 2012-09-04 08:16:07

Ayetach
Administrator

Hi EqualToAwesome, first let me remind you that you'll need to make future posts in threads that are relevant to your topic, especially as its stand alone thread so we can seperate topic matter properly.

Have you tried exporting to video while having the Camera layer selected? If it still has issues you can do an export of an image sequence and then take that sequence into a video editor for a video export there.

#69 2012-09-19 16:10:25

ebphoto

Hi Pascal,
this is ebphoto, i'm new here. I'm a fashion e beauty photographer not an illustrator or cartoon animator (sorry, my english lang is cheap).
When i found ur software i was surprised 'n i enjoyed takin' a look to Pencil just 'cose it's shows the 2d animation 'n seems something inside me re-started.
I talk about the kind of magic that i feel about 2d animation! The reason is why i concretized when i'm 12years old 2 super-8 short movie cartoons that i lost unfurtunately years ago.
In the digital age is really funny e good to see that really exists a software that is able to reproduce the 2D animation using technics really similar to analogic WOW!

Regards.

ebphoto

Board footer