Forum

Forum about the animation software Pencil

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-25 17:26:36

Lusa5

Re: Welcome, Pencil users!

ZZDas wrote:

Hi, i'll start by saying that Pencil is great...But...What about Clash??I first started using Pencil but after hear about Clash it felt like the naturaly update for it, and that's what i've been using since then, now you saying that Pencil 0.5 will be out ( hopefully ) on March with the same improvements that already exist on Clash...I just don't get it...Why don't you simply use the src of Clash (since is a fork of Pencil)and try to enhance it??
For those who don't Know what Clash is:
http://geesas.sourceforge.net/clash/

umn..well if the next pecil pretty much IS clash except with more stuff...it pretty much is the new enhancement for clash..and i don't see the complaint...

And the guy who was working on clash has joined the pencil team.

#27 2010-02-25 17:31:06

Lusa5

ZZDas wrote:

Hi, i'll start by saying that Pencil is great...But...What about Clash??I first started using Pencil but after hear about Clash it felt like the naturaly update for it, and that's what i've been using since then, now you saying that Pencil 0.5 will be out ( hopefully ) on March with the same improvements that already exist on Clash...I just don't get it...Why don't you simply use the src of Clash (since is a fork of Pencil)and try to enhance it??
For those who don't Know what Clash is:
http://geesas.sourceforge.net/clash/

umn..well if the next pecil pretty much IS clash except with more stuff...it pretty much is the new enhancement for clash..and i don't see the complaint...

And the guy who was working on clash has joined the pencil team.

#28 2010-02-26 00:58:18

Oluseyi

ZZDas wrote:

Pencil isn't Clash. Pencil aims to be traditional animation software; Clash aims to be a "free and open source Flash." I have Flash. It's useful, but it doesn't help me with my specific traditional animation objectives, whereas Pencil has the potential to.

It's great that Clash exists. It's great that Pencil exists. A consequence of forking, however, is duplicated effort. Long live Free Software/Open Source! smile

#29 2010-02-26 04:38:52

ZZDas

"improvements that already exist on Clash"
Lusa5 -  i can't find the "more stuff "you are talking, and that's what i'm complaining.
From what i've been reading the v0.5 has pretty much the same improvements as Clash
but writed in a diferent way(code)
"And the guy who was working on clash has joined the pencil team."
When did that happened?I'd be glad for that but i don't think it happened...See, Creek23, the one who made Clash(a fork of Pencil,let's keep this clear)have the ideia of making a free flash software not a hand-draw one and i believe he's going to keep that as main task.
And as far as i know the only two persons actually developing Pencil are Pascal and Oluseyi

Oluseyi -
Pencil is definitely not Clash, but the inverse is not true, since Clash is a fork of Pencil, Clash is Pencil with updates.
Clash aims to be an "attempts to make a SWF authoring software", but by now is only  , and i'll repeat myself, an unofficial update for Pencil.And since it exist, why don't use it?
The main reason  i Love Pencil/Clash is because it have vector and bitmap layer both editable:
PAP: bitmap only;unable to paint;
TVPaint:bitmap only;(sometimes it feels like is a pro version of pap)
Toon Boom:Vector only;whenever you import a bimap it trace it(becoming  vector)
Adobe Flash:Vector only;bitmap can be imported but not edited;
and the list goes on...Pencil is the only one the can handle both, now ain't that just GREAT?So my wishes for the v0.5 (and whatever comes after)could only be the enhancement of this quality:
Bitmap:"kill" the onion skin and put a light table instead;add more tools.
Vector:ok this one really need some improvements:
-When you draw a line it automaticly adds dots, those dots can be moved around but cannot be cuted or added more ones;
-the basic shapes(circle, square, etc)are also something that would be good to have;
-the inbetweens...i love hand drawed animation(my favorite, and what i do) but if you're able to move around, let's say the background, it would save you a lots of hours that you can use drawing...And that is the ultimate asset,the one who could make Pencil the more powerfull animation software ever made:the capability of handle bitmap and vector in a very usefull way.
Ohh i almost forgot:the UI...who likes to draw wants as much usable space as possible, so it would great if we could be able to make all the paletes invisible (leaving at least the timeline).
It seems to me that all my wishes will not be on the v0.5 but at least the word have been told.

PS:it's great to have you helping Pascal.it keeps the machine working...

Last edited by ZZDas (2010-02-26 04:40:04)

#30 2010-02-26 18:18:46

Lusa5

ZZDas wrote:

"improvements that already exist on Clash"
Lusa5 -  i can't find the "more stuff "you are talking, and that's what i'm complaining.
From what i've been reading the v0.5 has pretty much the same improvements as Clash
but writed in a diferent way(code)
"And the guy who was working on clash has joined the pencil team."
When did that happened?I'd be glad for that but i don't think it happened...See, Creek23, the one who made Clash(a fork of Pencil,let's keep this clear)have the ideia of making a free flash software not a hand-draw one and i believe he's going to keep that as main task.
And as far as i know the only two persons actually developing Pencil are Pascal and Oluseyi

Oluseyi -
Pencil is definitely not Clash, but the inverse is not true, since Clash is a fork of Pencil, Clash is Pencil with updates.
Clash aims to be an "attempts to make a SWF authoring software", but by now is only  , and i'll repeat myself, an unofficial update for Pencil.And since it exist, why don't use it?
The main reason  i Love Pencil/Clash is because it have vector and bitmap layer both editable:
PAP: bitmap only;unable to paint;
TVPaint:bitmap only;(sometimes it feels like is a pro version of pap)
Toon Boom:Vector only;whenever you import a bimap it trace it(becoming  vector)
Adobe Flash:Vector only;bitmap can be imported but not edited;
and the list goes on...Pencil is the only one the can handle both, now ain't that just GREAT?So my wishes for the v0.5 (and whatever comes after)could only be the enhancement of this quality:
-When you draw a line it automaticly adds dots, those dots can be moved around but cannot be cuted or added more ones;
-the basic shapes(circle, square, etc)are also something that would be good to have;
-the inbetweens...i love hand drawed animation(my favorite, and what i do) but if you're able to move around, let's say the background, it would save you a lots of hours that you can use drawing...And that is the ultimate asset,the one who could make Pencil the more powerfull animation software ever made:the capability of handle bitmap and vector in a very usefull way.
Ohh i almost forgot:the UI...who likes to draw wants as much usable space as possible, so it would great if we could be able to make all the paletes invisible (leaving at least the timeline).
It seems to me that all my wishes will not be on the v0.5 but at least the word have been told.

Well then your expectations of pencil is to high at the moment =/ I say just shut up and be happy with what you get.

it is free after all and the people on here are working very hard to make us happy. and you complaining about clash isn't helping anyone. I read that the new pencil 0.5 is going to have the same improvements as clash and more. that is what I read from the Administrator.

Yes clash is an updates ver of pencil pretty much! and thats why I don't get your complaint..if Clash is an updated ver of pencil..and pencil is gonna have an update soon that will have the same improvements of clash and MORE! I don't under stand the complaint..your getting what you want except in pencil NOT clash.

#31 2010-02-28 08:13:12

ZZDas

Lusa5
There're  differences between wishes and expectations and i wont "shut up" i'll stand up and actually help instead of hating every post, at the moment i'm trying to fix (or "killing") the onoin skin thing, and that's the reason why i post my opinion.
Did you ever tried Clash?You keep talking about it as if it was different software.
You keep saying that Pencil 0.5 is  going to have "MORE STUFF" than Clash, but without ever enumerating them, what lead to think that you don't have a clue about what you're talking about...
You just don't get it, do you?I'm not asking for them to change from Pencil to Clash, but most of the improvement that everybody wants (me included) are already on Clash, so, why don't just take it from there?

#32 2010-02-28 08:28:59

Kasper Hviid

@ZZDas: Maybe you should add your suggestions at the feature request thread? If you do, then you might also explain what you mean by having a lightning board instead of onion skin. I have a hard time understanding what the difference should be ...

#33 2010-02-28 08:46:38

ZZDas

Kasper Hviid
I'll post at the feature request thread, thank you.
Onion skin usually shows only one drawing(frame) after and before the current drawing, a light table instead can show a lot more(i.e. PAP pro gives you, if i'm not wrong, 10 frames after and before the one you're drawing.That can be extremely important when making an animation that shows a smooth move(like a character secretly moving behind a door).

#34 2010-02-28 09:10:24

Kasper Hviid

Onion Skin showing multiple frames might perhaps be a possibility in the next version ... !

You're right, it *is* a fundamental feature - especially when dealing with slow-in and slow-out and non-liniar movement.

#35 2010-03-01 00:30:51

Lusa5

ZZDas hmn Actually I DO have clash on my computer,thank you very much. and the next pencil IS GOING TO HAVEA LOT IF NOT EVERYTHING CLASH HAD AND MORE!!!!!!!!!!! for god sake that is what i have been telling you over and over again.

Will Pencil have everything clash did and more??

YES IT WILL!!! thats what I read from the admins for the last time!!!!

I remember reading someone suggesting Pencil be a lot like clash and the Admin saying it will be like clash except with more features and stuff. and thats what YOU want..so i'm gonna say AGAIN..I don't get your complaint.

#36 2010-03-01 01:06:08

Resrek

Lusa5 wrote:

I remember reading someone suggesting Pencil be a lot like clash and the Admin saying it will be like clash except with more features and stuff.

smile

#37 2010-03-01 03:18:16

ZZDas

Lusa5
Show me where so i can stop complaining

#38 2010-03-01 16:19:14

Lusa5

ok I gotta look for it cuz I was just running through the forums. I'll post it when i find it.

#39 2010-03-01 16:47:47

Lusa5

ZZDas

Sorry i din't find it but here is somthing a coder told me that the next pencil 0.5 should have

(And they pretty much fixed the exporting thing and save and load. which clash did not exactly fix.)

Yeah, I know. We're aiming to get one out before the end of March 2010. We've identified the following key areas to update:
- video export on ALL platforms
- serialization (load/save), including registration bugs (some users report their frames being misaligned when they reload)

It may not seem like an exhaustive list, but it involves quite a bit of background work (comprehensive video output support requires some updates to the plugin architecture, changes to the build process, touching the layers system...) and there are, really, only two developers available.

In the next couple of weeks I hope to update SVN with a v0.5 release candidate tag branch, so people can start to build and test under Windows, Mac and Linux (I can only test Mac and Linux right now). Watch this space!

#40 2010-03-01 16:50:34

Lusa5

I'll keep looking but I was forum hopping when I read it so i can't exactly remember where it is. if I find it I'll post it here thought.

#41 2010-03-02 01:33:16

Oluseyi

ZZDas wrote:

Oluseyi -

No, not really.

Once Clash was forked from Pencil, Clash became... Clash. Forked projects often have a large amount of overlap in functionality and implementation, in part because they share origin code and in part because they're often trying to solve the same or similar problems. You should look into GCC and ECGS, for example. Yes, it's "wasteful" in terms of overall effort, but that's just a natural cost of doing business. Is it "wasteful" for Adobe and Toon Boom to both produce a vector animation tool? It just is what it is.

You're saying we should contribute to the forked project (Clash) and not the base (Pencil), in effect killing off the base. Why not convince the author of Clash to contribute his changes back to Pencil? I'm not really advocating that; while many people seem to believe that forks are "bad," I actually think they're good. If two people or groups have similar but different objectives, then there's nothing wrong with them having similar but different projects. I think that what we should encourage is sharing infrastructure - breaking portions of our subsystems out as dynamic libraries that both projects, as well as others, can consume. That allows us both to profit off each other's work, but maintain our individual project focuses.

Anyway...

ZZDas wrote:

So my wishes for the v0.5 (and whatever comes after)could only be the enhancement of this quality:

The onion skin/light table distinction is really not that significant. muhkayoh or someone contributed a patch that enabled multi-frame onion skinning a few months ago. Making Pencil capable of displaying multiple frames is certainly in scope. Let's see if we can get it into 0.5.5, or 0.6.

ZZDas wrote:

I agree, the vector tools need some serious enhancements, and adding in-betweening, L-systems (Inkscape has them) and ECMAScript support could make Pencil a powerful part of any animation toolchain.

ZZDas wrote:

Again, I agree. In fact, I don't like the default tool setup in 0.4.4. It wastes a lot of space, and the docking scheme allows tools to appear in places where they are incredibly wasteful, too. I'm a big fan of floating palettes, rather than Qt's "MainWindow" approach, and I think multi-monitor support is key for Pencil in the future - place all your palettes except your timeline on a second monitor while having your drawing area and timeline alone on monitor 1.

Pencil 0.5 is primarily a stability and bugfix release. A big part of my objective is to work out all the kinks in the process of delivering and packaging a professional release - I'd like to get installers for Windows and OS X, packages for Linux, clean and straightforward source build, etc. I expect to then make another update shortly after, which I'm thinking will be 0.5.5, which will enhance the new, stable 0.5 build with some much needed features. I will then start publishing a roadmap that indicates objectives for Pencil on 3-, 6- and 12-month bases.

ZZDas wrote:

Thanks! smile

#42 2010-03-02 03:35:58

JackPayback

Wha?? Pencil 0.5 is close with 0.5.5 shortly after? AWESOME news Oluseyi!

Last edited by JackPayback (2010-03-02 03:36:45)

#43 2010-03-02 06:12:15

Oluseyi

JackPayback wrote:

Yeah. I'm aiming to have 0.5 out by the end of the month, and 0.5.5 out by May. The idea is to let 0.5.5 add new features, whereas 0.5 is to clean up existing features. After 0.5 I'll publish the roadmap, but I expect the next number to be 0.6 sometime around September or October. smile

#44 2010-03-02 15:18:39

Lusa5

God I CAN'T WAIT!! I've been planning an animation for some time now and I am just Praying that i can finally get this going when you guys get Pencil v0.5 out...

Pencil 0.4 is not working out for me....when I export my animation in frames and convert it with vurtualdub the background comes out all black (when i just use the default background no Imported images..I think I will try Importing an image to solve that problem next..hmmn)

I Love what your doing for us artists big_smile

#45 2010-03-02 19:36:05

Resrek

Oluseyi wrote:

JackPayback wrote:

Yeah. I'm aiming to have 0.5 out by the end of the month, and 0.5.5 out by May. The idea is to let 0.5.5 add new features, whereas 0.5 is to clean up existing features. After 0.5 I'll publish the roadmap, but I expect the next number to be 0.6 sometime around September or October. smile

big_smile

#46 2010-03-07 06:35:40

ZZDas

Oluseyi
"Once Clash was forked from Pencil, Clash became... Clash."
Indeed .What i mean to say was that since Clash has only one released version, the diference between both aren't enough to consider it but an update of Pencil, as his own creator first call it(this first version is named Clash because the guy wasn't a developer of Pencil, so he couldn't named officialy Pencil).
And from what i heard(read) on his forum, he was wishing that Pascal could use Clash source code to develope the next version of Pencil.
I don't defend that they should merge, they have separate goals.
As i said before, Clash is going to be as close to Flash as Creek23 make it...it will, in the  versions to come, but for now...it still just an unofficial update of Pencil.
My realy issue when i hear about Pencil 0.5 was that:
me the animator, and not me the wanna-be programmer,when launching Pencil and Clash at the same time, the visual diferences are few but distinguishable:
-fixed hot keys
-export as avi
and some other ones, if the code estructure had change? i don't know, i couldn't say.
And that's why i think you should have used the Clash src. Because in fact it doesn't mean to abandone Pencil...
Problably this comment is coming too late(you said the 0.5 could be out on March and we are in March so...)If you already have a code that goes beyond the changes Clash made, please considerate all this talking about using the Clash src for Pencil 0.5 as dead.

Onoion Skin vs Light Table
I believe is like inbetween vs tween. An animator with an animation stand, obviously have a light table, so when animation software came out they call it Onion Skin, basicly to show the difference between the workspaces, but historicly, animation software that claims to work on the traditional way, kept the name of light table, but the vectors software insistead in the use of the term "onion skin"
(i.e.:TVPaint,PAP,Digicel flipbook= light table; The Tab,Flash= onion skin)
So basicly the words "light table" and "onion skin" only describe the kind of sofware we are talking about?Well...no
It was like that until Toon Boom decides to use both, a light table and a onion skin!And the differences are:
The onion skin shows a maximum of three previous and after drawings in the same element column (TB still a vectorial software)while the light table (for the record T.B. has two kinds, a static and an automatic)shows all the drawings in all the elements, and plus it gives you the chance to choose what frame to show(i.e.:frame 1 and 3 but not 2...)Sso i don't think is a matter of taste of words.

By the way, you said you have Flash, well i don't know what kind of work do you do but how often do you use the onion skin feature?I'm  asking that because when i'm doing something on vectors i simply forget that it even exist, especially on a software that gives you the posibility of defining a path for an object and even write a script for it, so? am i the only one doing that?

I guess i already explained what i mean about the Clash src but about your comparison
between Flash and Toon Boom:it can be a little tricky since i don't considerate Flash quite an animation software but more like a web tool, when i first use flash it was on macromedia mx version 8 i guess(when i decided to use Corel studio instead)at that time it was an animation software with the "eyes" on the web but nowadays it's completly for the web, yes  know, i do know artist who use it for tv broadcast,but the comments are that they know that flash is trying to keep a foot on the animation area(as they include "bones" on the CS4)but the improvements made in order to help webdesigners and related are to shiny to ignore, an exemple of how animators using flash are starting to look aroundfor softwares stricly maded for animation is this case
http://piologo.blogspot.com/search/label/Toon%20Boom
The site is on portuguese but you can ask google to translate it for you

About the patch, i didn't saw it  before, but even if i did...i still can't compile a copy of Pencil (altough
i've downloaded and installed everything it demands...now i'm with a "ming" problem)so i wouldn't be able to use it...at this moment i can only deal with the released versions...

Vectors:L-system...ECMAScript, they sound good but not as much as in-between. and in a last look ECMAScript sound alot Clash-like and not Pencil, and l-system maybe in the 0.7?

About the UI:
When you have two monitors it can be cool to have tools in one side and a draw space in the other but i think can be easly done by undocking the pallettes and moving them around until they fill the second monitor... but honestly Pencil doesn't have enough tools to fit a entire monitor, or for not be able to remeber the shortcuts, so my ideia was more like "Autodesk Sketchbook" or "Artrage"(please read my brief note about artrage on the next post) a clean screen...if you take the cursor to a pallettes corner and right click on it, it gives the option to show/hide the pallettes but only the colour works...but if one works it shouldn't be hard to make the other ones work too.

Well... i can only wish you guys good luck with the 0.5

Last edited by ZZDas (2010-03-07 08:56:13)

#47 2010-03-07 06:37:03

ZZDas

Brief Note:
This is a brief note and it will be soon moved or deleted and the only reason why it's here is because is somehow related with the previous post.

Artrage had a free version on 1.1 that didn't have multiples layers, but now they released version 3 and they're giving the ver.2.5.2 starter edition for free, if you like drawing(you probably do)take a look at it:
http://artrage.findmysoft.com/
or try a demo of ver. 3 at
http://www.artrage.com/
Any way, this is the look, and tools, i'm hoping to get with Pencil(with a timeline of course...)...ok to be really honest i still prefer Autodesk Sketchbook UI, is so much more professional:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc … id=6848332

#48 2010-03-07 06:38:28

ZZDas

Lusa5
You don't have to wait for the 0.5 to start animating( i mean, wait for it because is surely going to be awesome but until there keep using 0.4.4)the problem you describe, i can think of two solution:
1)It's seems that you're exporting your frames on the PNG format which keeps the transparency(using the default background), so on Pencil what you can do is export your frames as JPEG(which doesn't preserve the alpha channel)and you'll hava nice white background, or
2)i'm sure if virtualdub suports more then one video layer(i tried some month ago but didn't find it cool
enough)if it does, insert a white image and extend it duration for as long as your animation goes, and of course, put your animation on higher layer, but if virtualdub doesn't give you another layer then it must have on the option a way to change the default background from black(as you said) to whatever colour you want.
Keep animating!!

#49 2010-03-08 04:02:40

Oluseyi

ZZDas wrote:

Oluseyi...(this first version is named Clash because the guy wasn't a developer of Pencil, so he couldn't named officialy Pencil)...

Actually, the name "Clash" is an obvious take on Flash. The software is named "Clash" as an expression of its overall objective: to become an open source Flash IDE alternative.

ZZDas wrote:

If you already have a code that goes beyond the changes Clash made, please considerate all this talking about using the Clash src for Pencil 0.5 as dead.

Yeah, it's moot at this point.

ZZDas wrote:

Onoion Skin vs Light Table
I believe is like inbetween vs tween. An animator with an animation stand, obviously have a light table, so when animation software came out they call it Onion Skin, basicly to show the difference between the workspaces, but historicly, animation software that claims to work on the traditional way, kept the name of light table, but the vectors software insistead in the use of the term "onion skin"

Not quite true. The name "onion skinning" derives from a type of paper that animators used to see successive frames simultaneously. The emphasis on the lightbox in recent years is curious, since placing dense, opaque paper over a lightbox yields nothing; you need both lightbox and onionskin to see several cels at once, but with onionskin alone you can see a few cels - perhaps 2 or 3.

ZZDas wrote:

So i don't think is a matter of taste of words.

*shrug*

ZZDas wrote:

so my ideia was more like "Autodesk Sketchbook" or "Artrage"...

Interesting. I own Sketchbook Pro 2009 and I've bought ArtRage 2.1 before but I lost my key and don't care enough to buy it again. One problem with using those two applications as models, however, is that they only run fullscreen. This sometimes is inconvenient for people with only one monitor running multiple applications concurrently. I remember having to tab-switch a lot while using Sketchbook Pro and ArtRage. They both make heavy use of screen corners and Fitt's Law - a lot less convenient on modern Macs, though, given the common use of screen corners to trigger Exposé behaviors.

It's worth looking into.

ZZDas wrote:

Well... i can only wish you guys good luck with the 0.5

Thanks. smile

#50 2010-03-08 20:54:38

Lusa5

ZZDas.

Thanks Dude for the tipes smile but I am just having to much problems with pencil and the exporting issues. Its starting to say that the Jpeg files are "Empty" files and such..bleh...I will just wait..plus I have Synfig and I can just mess with that it will keep me busy untill 0.5.

♥Thanks anyways♥

Board footer