Forum

Forum about the animation software Pencil

You are not logged in.

#51 2011-11-08 17:06:49

ZZDas

Re: SOLID STATE - Pilot Episode

ayetach wrote:

Pencil at its finest:
Nothing is a better learning approach than actually engaging in a project that poses problems for you to solve in the process of finishing completed content(...) I have learned some very clever workflows(...)as well as some hidden features Pencil harbours that I never knew about:

it's funny how "dejá dit" your post sound to me, i was about to post the same thing regarding my own experience with Pencil and then i come here, and it's all said smile
On how i understand you!

BTW, Good going!
For how long you're planning your animation to be?

#52 2011-11-10 13:58:09

Ayetach
Administrator

Rant/Development observation missive:
Since I starting this project and included Pencil into my production pipeline I did previously know there were some functionality issues that I would face down the road that would need some tayloring or simple workarounds to function in the manner I want. It is no less incredibly trying to work with at times.

Raster vs Vector:
Initially I wanted to sketch out the pencil tests in the raster formats and then finalize all the designs in vector. I realized however that it would be quicker to use raster formats for the clean line work and then use the fill tool on them. Which led me to realize that having a secondary raster layer behind the active layer being fillled could filter the fill on itself and seperate the lines from the actual fill (which I thought was rather useful being that it was raster). All this went relatively well (although more layers had to be used for the finalizing process - especially since the fill wasn't perfect and required yet another layer for cleanup work). Then I started adding light values and shadow casting, I decided to use the sketch tool on the raster layer to draw out natural contours of the shadow changing based on the posture of MC and where the light was hitting from (mainly a guestimate).

I realized however Vector work in Pencil is painfully tedious when the entire area that is intended for fill needs to be within the viewport entirely. Not one pixel can be excluded from viewing when filling, which i thought would be problematic if complex fills would be necessary for certain drawings an animator would make. To compound the issues, Pencil's ability to fully understand the 'enclosed shape' concept seems iffy since it will indicate at times that I'm zoomed too far in or the shape is not enclosed (when in fact the shape IS enclosed and I'm zoomed out sufficiently to view the entire object - on numerous occassions this has occurred, almost regularly). It would take a matter of a few clicks before I get it, very odd bug.

Transparency:
Tranparency has a few issues in Pencil as well I've noticed. For one, Filling a vectorized enclosed shape numerous times will fill the object with the same color at the opacity it was set at which would mean 10% black layered over 10% would be 20% black, simple logic I know but its not common to find this design workflow with multiple fill colors in an enclosed shape. It might have been better if there was a single color to fill and alter that fill based on the new color inputs.

Also when opening up Pencil and getting into one of the project files, Pencil will restore the opacity of a color to 100%. I assume this has to do with the lack of interface caching and saving altered settings. Luckly since I only use opacity changes on my vector shapes my corrections in the color menu changes all the frames with that particular color's opacity to the desired level. This is not the case for raster images.

Another interesting behavior I've witnessed is the use of low-opacity colors with a brush on a raster layer (or even a vector one if multiple brushstrokes are made). Pencil isn't programed nor made to change settings that allow the user to maintain a nice even opacity of the said color over multiple strokes that intersect, in fact the opacity is affected by pressure which is a bit disappointing since that would mean I would have to stick with low opacity fills otherwise it could simply brush the color to a solid opaque form when applying enough pressure (even on a raster format low opacity fill, Pencil demonstrates its inability to correctly fill a desired region, it simply fills segments of it and causes pixel artifacts around the edges).

There was also the issue of lines produced by the sketch tool on the vector layer that disallow the user to fill the enclosed shape if the line itself uses a color with lower opacity. A totally opaque line would need to be produced in order to fill the object properly, although using the sketch tool in the vector layer produced invisible lines (and don't show up in the final render) that's sufficient enough, but I feel that it really shouldn't have a bearing on the fill being doable or not based off of the color of the sketch line's opacity.

This segment leads on to my next issue:

Interface:
I've noticed that since I use v0.4.4b on OSX and Moreva's build on Linux the interface for color and opacity changes are vastly different and sadly don't maintain the same input functions. On OSX I can actually indicate a color opacity by percentage which I found helpful, but in a Linux environment for the v0.5 beta build I would have to eyeball it since no numbers are actually given.

I'll end this by saying the short is still filmable but only barely. There is some serious issues Pencil developers will need to address to make Pencil even remotely attractive to animators and even more so for a marketable product. I recognize that Pencil is an unfinished software but these are real issues I've faced during my work in Pencil so hopefully this will help developers understand what needs to be tackled in development.

ZZDas wrote:

For how long you're planning your animation to be?

So far its 1 minute and 43 seconds. Short but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Last edited by ayetach (2011-11-10 13:59:08)

#53 2011-11-10 17:45:31

ZZDas

Ayetach...
          I had the exact same problems when i first try to use Pencil as an "only-software-used-to-make-an-animation"...it just wont work, which is sad but in order to get things done i knew i had to ad more softwares to my workflow and that was when i "invite" Gimp to party with me wink because painting an entire animation with Pencil...well...just not yet.

And then, when i thought Gimp was enough, came up the problem about resolution/quality of the ink...as is a common practice in digital painting, after i animate the scene with Pencil, in a smaller frame size then the final output, i re-size them to a bigger size to be inked and painted on Gimp...but then Gimp showed me that play around with one big image is a lot different than play with a bunch of them...so now i'm leaving Gimp only for color effects(shadows, highlights, etc) and for that Gimp is lord!

So for the ink i had to use a vector software that i could input those small size frames that come from Pencil, and that's when the good thing about using vectors come up:after the ink is done i can export the inked frames with double the final size to be painted without quality losses and without pushing my pc(ram) to the limit.This is something that Pencil also don't have, i mean, it have a vector layer but without all those vectors benefits(resolution free, nodes editing...etc...)! For this task i recruited Inkscape, that although it's not made for animation...it's just perfect for Inking smile .

So at this moment i have three more softwares besides Pencil(i have another one just for fill the flats colors that work better than Gimp for this task) and at the final stage, i end up with a folder with a lot of sequences that must be compiled(MonkeyJam is showing good work at this) for finally send the UnAVI to my video editor...
[i'm exhausted only by writing this thing down neutral ...]

The point is:Pencil will, one day, become a complete animation software, and even now, one is capable of doing a small animation with it...but for something more, let's say, more sophisticated...Just use it for what it does the best:Animation(rough and clean) and let the other softwares do what they do best.

At least...this is what I'm doing...

#54 2011-11-10 22:47:40

rylleman

>ZZDas. May I suggest Synfig for your vector inking? It's for vector animation. You don't have to ink each frame separately as in Inkscape, it does interpolation between frames.
synfig.org

#55 2011-11-11 06:13:40

ZZDas

Thanks Rylleman, it was my very first choice...but then:
Synfig it's a PITA when it comes to import a sequence, while with Inkscape i can create a layered SVG with Gimp with the png's.
The ink job per se with Synfig it's not gold also, Inkscape offers more brush options.
The only thing i really miss it's the chance to work wit layers like Pencil and to switch frames with the arrows keys...well i'll manage that wink Thanks!

#56 2011-11-16 02:28:01

Ayetach
Administrator

16 November 2011 Update:
Been working steadily on the animation in the past few weeks. Ultimately I did fallback onto a different program to paint certain drop shaddows with high feathering that maintained the same opacity since it was not possible to do in Pencil yet smile I did however experiance an unfortunate accident that taught me that coffee and computers dont mix well, so now my computer is in service. Luckily though, I've been notified that it'll be ready between friday and monday so I can continue then - I was hoping to share more content with you guys this week but I suppose its something best suited for next week smile I will also be leaving on a long holiday trip but i'll still be animating while im out and about. More to come soon!

Last edited by ayetach (2011-11-16 02:29:22)

#57 2011-11-23 13:44:43

Ayetach
Administrator

Video Breakdown:
Hello forum, I've been meaning to make a post earlier but as I said my computer was decommissioned for a short bit. Now that I have it back I've been busily animating, I thought I'd let you in on some screen captured video footage from one of the scenes MC is seen in:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2011-08-23kl100850.png

You'll notice how I start with an alpha-channeled grid and rendering box so i know where my visual limits are, since Pencil has no means of showing the camera area on other layers this was my first step. After doing that I laid in the background rendered image from Blender for the scene at hand. From there I added simple gesture figures to get an idea on the timing, pace, position, and general 'feel' over the scene. I proceed by further polishing the sketches with cleaner (albeit still sketchy) drawings of MC herself in full glory of the details. I intentionally started the planning of the scene with that simple mannequin mainly so I could focus on the actual animation instead of the prettiness of the drawing - there's no room to focus on that when animating and thinking about the animation is as demanding as it is - so that was laid in later.

When I'm pleased with how the scene looks in its sketched form and I've laid in all the singles and doubles I go through and clean up with the polyline tool on the raster layer, followed by a fill of colors (on a separate layer although poured on the polyline layer since that's how Pencil works) and fill in any areas not successfully filled (the fill clean-up layer, painted individually). I would have really much rather preferred a vector approach to this but laying in the lines and successfully filling the shapes without errors is far more time consuming than just correcting the unfilled raster images, so I made do with that.

Finally after all the final images are finished I draw in shadows on her shirt from the lights above and cast shadows on the pillars to the top-right (since they didn't have enough shadows to begin with in my opinion - these shadows do appear above the pillars in this video but they were indeed composited behind the pillars later). I used vector for this process because for one, the pencil tool is invisible so any number of lines can be made to close the shape without interfering with the final render itself and two, I can adjust opacity through the color panel rather easily instead of repainting an area with the adjusted opacity. I later added cast shadows below her on the floor through a 3rd party raster program and composited everything together with additional effects and color balance for final render and export.

From all this you can see why this is taking me a bit of time. This one segment alone includes well over 300 drawings and its just over 4 seconds! D: This might seem rediculous and borderline wasteful cause I'm doing so many checks and processes for one pass on one character doing essentially one thing but its a tried and tested process and will ensure for the most part a rather high-quality output. Lucky for me though, I did decide to implement parts of the film to eastern-asian methods of cutting down a signifigent number of drawings to accomplish certain impressions on the audiance for certain scenes. This will def help on the workload for the next few weeks.

Since mostly animating the remaining scenes in pencil and fine tuning the final export is all that I'll be doing in the next few weeks expect fewer posts for the sake of time and effort. I will probably have this ready by early to mid-December. I will however keep you all in the loop, and who knows there might be some more posts just before release smile

Just as an edition you'll notice how more and more layers are turned on during the course of the video and how easy it is to slow down the playback in Pencil. This is especially true when I had those alpha channelled images and grids turned on, and to a slightly lesser extent the full opaque image behind it. It was kind of impeding since I wanted to see how the timing was in its more polished form so with those resource consuming layers turned off and less processing of each frame for all those layers, I was able to see the animation in real time again (as you may have noticed between the turning on and off of layers). Working with Pencil really is a series of problem-solving and coming up with unique solutions, its perhaps not the best approach on certain things but they're definately workable.

Last edited by ayetach (2011-11-23 13:54:06)

#58 2011-11-26 09:32:02

ZZDas

smile
You're a brave man! using the "real" HD background and doing "all" the animation on Pencil it's not something easy(not me...)!
If critiques are allowed, the elevator door seems too small, even with the perspective.
Nice work Ayetach!

#59 2012-01-09 08:39:09

Ayetach
Administrator

9 January 2012 update:
Hello, not too much to present other than updating the progress chart to indicate where I'm at as far as work goes. Its pretty clear that the traditional animating process in this using Pencil is staggeringly slow (even for a short under 2 minutes) although work and vacation has been distracting me from finishing. There should be a substantial amount of content presented later this month the closer I get to finishing up. I'll be uploading all the content I used to make the film that is possible to share under public domain as well after its finished. More to come soon smile

Last edited by ayetach (2012-01-09 08:39:39)

#60 2012-01-18 06:39:51

Ayetach
Administrator

18 January 2012 update:
So far no luck in spotting any zombies yet (thanksfully!). On to relevant news, I've decided to update the leika reel with the same 30 seconds of footage that has been previewed with thumbnail images using finished footage. I can see light at the end of the tunnel (even with the little time I spend with this project) its coming fast, there's a few more scenes to animate and then it'll be set for release smile stay tuned...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-01-18kl174737.png

Last edited by ayetach (2012-01-18 09:00:04)

#61 2012-03-20 10:09:42

Ayetach
Administrator

Update Images:
Nothing big in terms of announcements or workflows, just figured since I was taking my time on this I'd show a little bit of what I've been working on through these images. I'm aiming for the end of this month but depending on how difficult some of the more complex scenes are it might take bit longer. Enjoy smile

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/1.png
http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-nc-sa/3.0/88x31.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-03-20kl175627.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-03-20kl175730.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-03-20kl175815.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-03-20kl175835.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-03-20kl175934.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-03-20kl180037.png

Last edited by ayetach (2012-03-20 10:10:20)

#62 2012-04-02 11:31:45

Ayetach
Administrator

2 April 2012 Update:
Greetings readers, I'm still here and the project is still very much alive. I updated the progress chart to indicate how much farther I've come with the animating.

I honestly didn't think animating a 2.5D film in under 2 minutes would be so much work using Blender and Pencil as the principle programs for animating tools - but alas it is, as it shows now being almost a year and a half (this june) with production - an absurdly long production cycle for such a small project. I do plan on finishing this however as fast as I can since I have other projects and other ambitions to accomplish this year, and luckily for this project I'm not one to work on half-baked schemes, so this will be completed as stated.

I'm tinkering with some of Pencil's workflow methods to find easier ways for animating since currently I face a 3-4 layer system for one character alone - which is far too many when you think in terms of cels and individual images for those layers. So what would normally take a week of animation for 4 seconds can take as long as 2-3 weeks due to the rather clumsy and somewhat unstable nature of the tools in Pencil. Still since I want to prove Pencil's valid functional use in a pipeline and will stick to an all exclusive workflow for traditionally animated characters in Pencil. I'll get more into my thoughts on Pencil when I complete the project in my after action report.

Currently I'm animating every day (except weekends - I have a standard for relaxation, so that's just how it'll be) doing mostly traditional animation work and compositing, but this week in particular I'll be rendering the final 3D shots and re-rendering any shots I deemed unworthy of my standards for the final lock. But there will be some traditional animating as well for some of the simpler scenes so that I don't overwhelm my computer with too much processing and memory hogging.

The good news in all this is that I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and things are coming together quite nicely. I'm really liking the polished look of the final lock using Blender and Pencil (hopefully you will too).

I decided that since its been a bit since my last serious post I wanted to provide a rough draft concept of the other antagonist of the short, I redesigned him to make for easier animating. Although I'm using some of the Disney-esque design principles to make for easier animating I'll likely stick to the 12 fps and anatomically realistic design principles (albeit slightly stylized). I haven't given him a name yet (mostly because I just don't know what name is best suited for him) but he will stand up against MC as the antagonist in this short.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/konsept2.png
**Be mindful that this is a 'rough draft' and isn't the final design, obvious anatomical and small design changes are still being considered.

#63 2012-04-16 14:17:26

Ayetach
Administrator

Thank you:
Despite all the delays and slow-downs your visits and commentary has been insightful and inspiring throughout this process. I just noticed this thread broke 10,000 views and I'm quite pleased people enjoy following along with my progress so I wanted to provide a short video I did a few days ago as my measure of saying thank you for your support :]

Enjoy the Speed Painting of John Lennon

#64 2012-04-24 04:01:12

carlosgf
Administrator

@ayetach
I wanted to thank you for a long time but now that I managed to registered I can do that. You have been working hard, we all can see that from here...

And that is what I wanted to say. thank you for your work around here and around the software. smile

See you

Last edited by carlosgf (2012-04-24 04:01:40)

Instead of God, Love, Happiness, Comfort, Passion...(you name it) give me only The Truth, The Truth and I will become enlightened.

#65 2012-04-30 16:21:32

Ayetach
Administrator

1 May 2012 Update:
So I decided to include another post today - I've been diligently working on certain scenes, and I thought I'd share part of the workflow for some of these shots I'm completing this week. The picture below illustrates a render I've completed in the 3d segment of the shot and includes rough illustrations that act as placeholders for traditionally animated shots. Sometimes there's complex compositing that is needed for a shot (panning stills on different layers) and having placeholders for those compositing effects helps when I need to understand the timing and placement of the traditional animation in all this.

Granted the current compositing set-up in the below picture isn't that complex, I tend to build on it - continually adding more content and material until it turns out being a myraid of nodes and elements that make it seemingly complex, or atleast something complex enough that it forces me to study it a bit first if I need to review it down the road wink

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-05-01kl011718.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/placeholder.png

**Side note, the illustrations were drawn up and rendered out in Pencil smile

#66 2012-05-02 17:39:50

ZZDas

It's looking good Ayetach! wink
Keep up!

#67 2012-05-03 04:40:09

carlosgf
Administrator

Using Blender is a good thing smile..  I am actually trying to learn it as well
Good work

Last edited by carlosgf (2012-05-03 04:40:42)

Instead of God, Love, Happiness, Comfort, Passion...(you name it) give me only The Truth, The Truth and I will become enlightened.

#68 2012-05-23 07:11:55

Ayetach
Administrator

23 May 2011 Update:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Skjermbilde2012-05-18kl203831.png

I've been busy working away at this little by little. There's very little to show for it since it's segments of content I prefer keeping more obscured, and therefore less to discuss as well. However since some of the previous posts hinted at it I'll give you some more sneak peeks.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Skjermbilde2012-05-23kl141404.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Skjermbilde2012-05-23kl141622.png

As always more to come :]

#69 2012-05-23 10:28:55

carlosgf
Administrator

So, I am trying to figure it out without asking you to explain it to me smile
You are drawing and rendering the main character in Pencil, modelling the other things in blender and compositing in blender.
But one thing came to my mind: are those drawings going to be in 2D, while the whole scenario in 3D?

Lot of work here!!!

#70 2012-05-23 10:36:01

Ayetach
Administrator

Read this post under 'Media Design', this post under 'Project Goals' for a more detailed explanation, and this post under 'Animation Design' for an explaination of how I intend to blend both the 3d and 2d animations together.

#71 2012-05-23 10:38:33

carlosgf
Administrator

I will have a look to those links Ayetach. Thank you

#72 2012-06-05 13:14:50

Ayetach
Administrator

Continuity Errors:
"In fiction, continuity (also called time-scheme) is consistency of the characteristics of persons, plot, objects, places and events seen by the reader or viewer over some period of time. It is of relevance to several media.

Continuity is particularly a concern in the production of film and television due to the difficulty of rectifying an error in continuity after shooting has wrapped up. It also applies to other art forms, including novels, comics, and videogames, though usually on a smaller scale."   ~Wikipedia

Yup its exactly that. Yesterday I was wrapping up a shot when I realized as I was scrubbing through the leika reel timeline that some serious continuity errors had cropped up. One being MC's mechanized hair - they're like of like plugs and require the end bit to justify their function...
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/continuity1.png

But some of my shots.. actually several of my shots contained this issue of missing the component coupling at the end of the 'hair'...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/continuity2.png

...which for me, being the OCD-ridden fool that I am, is a nightmare. What's worse is that several of the shots that are fully animated both on doubles and singles for 24 fps are animated with this error being iterated all over. What's going to have to happen in the next few days is revising those shots and cleaning up that mistake with a touchup of the 'plug' component and perhaps a cast shadow if necessary - then rerender. Time consuming and wasteful progress but progress never the less. I have an intense nack for detail so things like this must be done at all costs. I've also noticed alther slight errors like color scheme for two shots taking place at the same 'location'...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-06-05kl220010.png

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/Skjermbilde2012-06-05kl220027.png

The second one also needs to be calibrated to feel more muted like the first. Further more some of the shots had proportion issues, mainly due to forced perspective techniques or design layout that later proved too big and can be adjusted in post for a more accurate size.

Even with small projects everything needs to make sense for me - or else it hurts the plausibility tolerance of my fantastic world chi-powered artness fun time. tongue

#73 2012-08-24 14:53:55

Ayetach
Administrator

Development Hell and Release:

Lately I haven't been posting because development hell has been setting in on the project, its happened numerous times but this past summer has been particularly harmful to the production of this short. That said I am still working on it and I anticipate its release this October - there's still quite a bit of work in terms of content and final polish but I do want to submit this to the Suzanne film festival among others that I have planned around Norway, Europe, and North America. There will also be an online release of this short followed by release of all the animation content licensed under creative commons so everyone can see what it took, and disect any part of the material to better understand the process.

Without a further ado...
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/Mu-Shu-Fasa/Pencil%20Forum/MC_poster.png

Keep in mind this short is only a pilot episode and employs highly experimental procedures using Pencil as one animation tool in the film production pipeline. I have plans on producing more shorts in the future with more developed story-lines and characters, but for now we'll start with this stepping stone.

As always, more to come smile

#74 2012-08-25 05:22:20

ZZDas

Nice to see you're back! wink

#75 2012-08-28 06:16:31

Brianfold

ZZDas wrote:

Thanks Rylleman, it was my very first choice...but then:
Synfig it's a PITA when it comes to import a sequence, while with Inkscape i can create a layered SVG with Gimp with the png's.
The ink job per se with Synfig it's not gold also, Inkscape offers more brush options.
The only thing i really miss it's the chance to work wit layers like Pencil and to switch frames with the arrows keys...well i'll manage that wink Thanks!

Could you go into detail about how you save a GIMP file as SVG and import it into Inkscape? I thought .svg wasn't a supported file extension for GIMP? I tried making an animation a few months ago using Mukayoh's combo of Pencil+Inkscape, but the fact that I had to import each and every single frame made me want to quit animation for good. I've asked about the existence of a faster way to get Pencil frames into Inkscape on the forum, but they said Inkscape doesn't have a "open as layers" function like GIMP does. So, what's your secret?

Last edited by Brianfold (2012-08-28 06:16:48)

Board footer